State of Origin heads to Auckland in 2027
- 15 minutes ago
- 2 min read

State of Origin’s global footprint will grow in 2027 following the confirmation that New Zealand will host its first-ever State of Origin match next year at Eden Park, Auckland.
The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has made the announcement on Monday alongside the New Zealand Government and Auckland Council.
LATEST HEADLINES:
Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Peter V’landys said the historic clash would give New Zealanders the opportunity to experience the intensity of the game’s greatest rivalry.
“Rugby League is the number one sport in Australia and the Pacific, and the growth we have seen in New Zealand over recent years has been nothing short of extraordinary,” V’landys said.
“State of Origin isn’t just a football match - it’s a cultural phenomenon. It’s the greatest rivalry in Australian sport, and in 2027 it will be showcased on one of the most famous sporting stages in the world.
“The eyes of Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific and beyond will be on Eden Park, and it will be a milestone moment for the game.”
NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said taking State of Origin to New Zealand was a win for fans on both sides of the Tasman.
“This is a great outcome for fans,” Abdo said. “In 2027, Rugby League fans in New Zealand will experience one of the greatest rivalries in world sport live, and we also know how strongly supporters from all over Australia and the Pacific embrace travelling to be part of State of Origin experience.
“State of Origin brings people together like few events can. It’s an opportunity to grow the game, reward our existing fans and welcome new audiences who may be experiencing Rugby League live for the very first time — and they are in for something truly special.
“We sincerely thank the New Zealand Government and Auckland Council Events for their support and investment in making this historic event possible.”
Meanwhile, ARLC has expanded the eligibility criteria for State of Origin that could see some Kiwis internationals suiting up for Queensland or New South Wales.
Previously, players representing nations other than Australia were ineligible to play Origin, despite meeting the rivalry's other criteria.
Now players will be eligible if they were born in Queensland or NSW, spent time living in either state before the age of 13, or their fathers played State of Origin. Some Australia-born Kiwis will now be eligible.




