top of page

Dual Sevens titles for NZ in Singapore

Black Ferns Sevens win everything in Singapore while All Blacks also victorious
The Black Ferns have captured the Singapore Sevens title and the series title , while the All Blacks Sevens also won in Singapore. PHOTO: WORLD SEVENS

Double glory for New Zealand at the Singapore Sevens after a shootout in the women's final to decide the overall League winners.

The All Blacks Sevens edged Ireland 17-14 for the Singapore title which in turn gave Argentina the overall title again.

For the Black Ferns it all came down to the very last game, contested by the two sides locked on 106 points each at the top of the standings. 


However, a depleted Australia could not reply to a ferocious Black Ferns Sevens performance, including a hat-trick from Michaela Blyde, their fourth successive tournament gold confirming their place at the top of the regular season standings.

New Zealand came out the blocks fastest, Blyde finding space on the switch to go 80 metres for the first score, but just moments later it was Australia’s star try-scorer Maddison Levi who matched her feat to level the scores.

Isabella Nasser took Australia ahead until Blyde’s pace once again drew New Zealand back into the game, but Australia kept a slim 14-12 lead at halftime.

Blyde completed her hattrick after New Zealand created a massive overload on the left wing, made because Australia’s captain Madison Ashby was down injured, having to leave the field soon after.

Australia were under pressure, and Portia Woodman-Wickliffe made them pay, racing away to take the Black Ferns Sevens 12 points ahead, despite the best efforts of Faith Nathan to drag her down.

Jorja Miller’s steal had Australia scrambling again, and as Stacey Waaka went over in the corner the final was won for New Zealand, despite Levi’s late consolation for Australia. 

In the Singapore men's final there were first-half tries from Leroy Carter and Fehi Fineanganofo took New Zealand into a 12-0 lead.

Ireland had their first threatening attack moments later, but the men in green managed to cross for one of their own just before the break through Gavin Mullin for a 12-7 half-time score.

A close second half was eventually broken by Dylan Collier sniping at the ruck for New Zealand’s third, but Harry McNulty, who missed his tackle on Collier to concede a minute earlier, made amends with a score at the other end to make it a three-point game.

A Cody Vai knock on gave Ireland one final chance, but they were left bridesmaids in a final for a third time as Tone Ng Shiu came up with the crucial turnover at the breakdown.

Argentina won the title with 106 points, two ahead of Ireland with the All Blacks third on 93.


bottom of page